Art and Design - National 4
In S4 pupils will enter the Senior Phase. Pupils will be assessed at the end of S3 & the beginning of S4 to assess if they are best suited to sitting National 4 or 5.
National 4 aims to enable learners to:
- Communicate personal thoughts, feelings and ideas through the imaginative use of art and design materials, techniques and/or technology.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of art and design practice.
- Respond creatively to stimuli and produce observational drawings, studies and expressive development work.
- Work confidently through a Design Unit in response to a Design Brief and producing imaginative design solutions.
- Experiment with using a variety of art materials, techniques and/or technology creatively and expressively
- Plan, develop, produce and present creative art and design work.
- Develop understanding of social and cultural influences on artists and designers and their work.
- Develop creativity, problem solving, critical thinking and reflective practice skills.
- Pupils will also be encouraged in active and independent working.
Learning in S4 will be relevant, appropriate and engaging with opportunities for personalization, choice, collaborative working and application of their learning in their practical work. The National 4 Art and Design Course is practical and experiential. It aims to develop knowledge of art and design practice and practical media handling skills in both expressive and design contexts. The Course provides opportunities for learners to exercise imagination and creativity.
In S4 pupils will show confidence and enjoyment in their work. They will show their understanding of the factors that influence and inspire artists and designers and their work. Pupils will learn to show a depth of creativity in experimenting with media, technology and techniques. Learning is pupils centred and active learning in encouraged.
Pupils will still undertake:
Critical Activity - Essays, Report, Research, Verbal
Work is assessed internally by the teacher as the pupil progresses.
This may include:
- Observation of pupil’s skills and application
- Evaluating practical work
- Questioning and discussion with pupil
Added Value Unit
Pupils will also be required to produce a final piece for Expressive and Design as the Added Value Unit of the course.
In the Added Value Unit, learners will choose one expressive development idea and one design development idea from their experimental development work in the Art and Design: Expressive Activity and Art and Design: Design Activity Units and produce:
- One piece of expressive art in response to a theme or stimuli
- One piece of design work in response to a design brief