Art and Design - Higher
The aims of the Course are to enable pupils to develop skills to:
- Communicate personal thoughts, feelings and ideas through the creative use of art and design materials, techniques and/or technology.
- Analyse a range of art and design practice and critically reflect on the impact of external factors on artists and their work.
- Plan, develop, produce and present creative art and design work.
- Develop personal creativity, using problem solving, critical thinking and reflective practice skills.
A broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding that will be covered in the Course includes:
- Producing analytical drawings and investigative studies in response to stimuli.
- Using visual elements expressively, showing clear understanding of the subject matter.
- Producing focused investigative studies and market research for a complex design activity.
- Develop skills in using a range of art and design materials, techniques and/or technology creatively and expressively.
- Developing and progressively refining a variety of personal and creative ideas for art and design work in 2D and/or 3D formats.
- Analysing and critically reflecting on artists’ and designers’ use of materials, techniques and/or technology.
- Analysing the impact of social, cultural and other influences on artists’ and designers’ work and practice.
- Using complex problem solving, planning and self-evaluation skills within the creative process.
Art and Design: Expressive with Critical Activity
- Analyse the factors influencing artists and art practice.
- Produce creative development ideas for expressive artwork.
Art and Design: Design with Critical Activity
- Analyse the factors influencing designers and design practice.
- Produce creative design ideas and development work for a design brief.
Added Value Unit - Art and Design Practical Activity
- produce one piece of expressive art in response to a theme or stimuli.
- produce one piece of design work in response to a design brief.
- A Portfolio of work comprising of both Design and Expressive is sent off for assessment to the SQA.
- An external Question Paper set by the SQA and assessed