Here at Madras College we have 5 French teachers and we have students in every year group from S1 – S6 studying French. You can find information for each year group by following the relevant links on the side bar.
As a department we run a French exchange and an Advanced Higher trip to Paris, details of which can be found by clicking on the link.
So why is French important? How long have you got! Here are 10 important facts about the French language and French speaking countries:
- French is a romance language
- French is spoken as a first language by about 136 million people worldwide
- Around 190 million people speak French as a second language
- French speaking communities are present in 57 countries and territories of the world
- French speaking communities are collectively known as “La Francophonie”
- There are 16 vowels in French!
- France It is often referred to as "The Hexagon" because of the geometric shape of its territory
- France's total land area, with its overseas departments and territories 260,558 square miles, 0.45% of the total land area on Earth
- French is an official language of The International Red Cross, The United Nations and The Olympics
- Over 20,000 English words have their origins in French
So that’s the serious side of learning French, here are a few slightly more fun facts!
- French is better than chocolate because speaking lots of French won’t make you sick!
- Speaking French will increase your job opportunities and salary potential
- French is better than drinking because you can’t get a hangover from speaking French!
- French is the language of culture opening your door to art, music, dance, fashion, cuisine, and cinema
- French is better than smoking because speaking French won’t make you smell bad!
- French fashion designers, artists, writers, musicians, chefs and film makers have had a wide influence all over the world
- French is better than coffee because speaking French won’t stain your teeth!
Links to French websites
NRJ Radio (Listen to some French radio)
TV5 International (Watch some French TV clips)
Alliance Franšaise (French speakers in Scotland)
The French Institute (French in the UK)
Tourist Board (The official French tourist office)