The aim of the course is to develop pupils’ life skills, promoting an awareness of good hygiene; healthy eating principles, as well as practical cooking and textile skills.
As food from practical lessons is taken home, there is an expectation that all pupils will bring a suitable container. Pupils are asked to contribute towards the cost of ingredients and textiles.
In S1 we cover the following units:
- Getting Started (8 weeks)
- Introduction to food hygiene
- Intro to Food Prepration Techniques
- Equipment and uses
- Cookery processes
- Know Your Nutrients (10 weeks)
- Looking at key nutrients and identifying their sources and functions
- Christmas Cookery (1 week)
- Chocolate Truffles
- Eatwell (6 weeks)
- Looking at the Eatwell Plate
- Identifying different food groups
- Investigating dietary targets
- Sewing – Bistro Apron (10 weeks)
- Introduction to sewing techniques
Pupils are expected to complete homework relevant to the current topic, to enhance their understanding.
Pupils will be assessed in the following ways;
- Most units are formally assessed using written, short answer questioning techniques. This will provide information about how well pupils have understood the knowledge of the subject.
- Practical Skills are assessed continually through out the year to measure progress.