Core Physical Education
Pupils get 2 mandatory periods PE each week. Learning in Physical Education ensures that pupils develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future. Learning through Phyiscal Education enables pupils to:
- Make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing.
- Experience challenge and enjoyment.
- Experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves.
- Apply their mental, emotional, social and physical skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle.
- Make a successful move to the next stage of education or work.
- Establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which will be sustained into adult life, and which will help to promote the health and wellbeing of the next generation of Scottish children. It also enables some to perform at high levels in sport or prepare for careers within the health and leisure industries.
Core Physical Education aims to provide young people with learning experiences that enable them to develop the knowledge, motivation and competence to live a physically active life physically, morally, intellectually and socially within an educational context where pupils are valued and cared for.
There are three experiences and outcomes that form the basis of our core PE courses:
- Movement skills, competencies and concepts
Select, adapt and apply movement skills creatively, accurately and with control.
Practice, consolidate and refine skills to improve performance. Develop and sustain levels of fitness.
- Cooperation and Competition
Develop skills to lead and recognise strengths in group members and themselves. Contribue to teams through knowledge of individual strengths, group tactics and strategies.
- Evaluating and Appreciating
Analyse and discuss own and others’ work, recognising strengths and areas of improvement.
By giving pupils the opportunity to work on their own, with a partner or in groups using a variety of equipment both indoors and outdoors their knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of sporting activites will be enhanced.
Pupils in S1 can opt into elective courses in Mountian Biking and/or Orienteering in addition to their two periods of core Physical Education.
Pupils in S2 and S3 can opt into Performance Physical Education or Performance Dance.
Performance Physical Education
The main purpose of the Course is to develop and demonstrate movement and performance skills in physical activities. By engaging in a range of physical activities negotiated between the pupils and staff, learners can demonstrate initiative, decision-making and problem-solving. The Course also encourages learners to develop a positive attitude towards a healthy lifestyle, and the contribution that physical activity makes to this.The skills that learners acquire by successfully completing this Course are transferable to learning, to life and to the world of work.
The Course provides opportunities for learners to be inspired and challenged by creating, demonstrating and appreciating dance. Learners will use knowledge and understanding of dance techniques and choreographic skills to inform practice. Learners will also develop skills in appreciating theatre arts and dance practice. As learners develop their performing skills in dance, they will learn how to use dance techniques and choreography creatively to enhance performance. They will experiment with a range of dance styles and learn how to apply them to enhance their own performances and the performances of others. Learners will also be encouraged to explore the use of theatre arts in dance.