Madras College PE Department Vision statement
To create an enjoyable working environment for both staff and pupils, where, together we strive to learn and improve and where participation and achievement is measured and celebrated.
As a department, we aim to provide a challenging, disciplined and safe environment for high quality learning and teaching. Pupils should experience a balance of activities which has the necessary coherence and breadth to develop the Curriculum for Excellence four capacities (successful learners, confident individuals, responsible citizens and effective contributors).
Progression should be evident as the pupil passes through S1 to S3 with an extended choice of activity in S4 to S6 to ensure the pupil is offered a stimulating and relevant Senior school choice in PE.
By the end of their physical education in Madras College, the pupil should have developed a personal commitment to maintaining their health and well-being into their adult life. We aim to provide courses which will encourage our pupils to develop and improve their competence by participating in physical activity.
The general aims of our department are based on the following:
- Become more interested and involved in physical activity.
- To develop the knowledge and understanding, specialist PE skills and attitude necessary for physical and emotional health and well being.
- Realise that their physical health helps them to engage successfully in the world in which they live in.
- Experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity.
- Become convinced of the importance of learning for themselves.
- Become more confident in their ability to express themselves as a successful sportsperson
- Take responsibility for their own learning.
- Enjoy PE and recognise that it has value for them, quite apart from the acquisition of grades.